Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Skypers!

A couple weeks ago, I was teaching an interactive whiteboard workshop and one of the teachers asked if I could help her with Skype.  I have to admit, I think I may have been more excited than even she was about it. 




This was to be my first eyewitness experience to using Skype in the classroom, though I've been talking about it for a few years now.



Patty Oliphant had been communicating with another Kindergarten teacher in North Carolina when they decided to have their students meet.  While a trip to NC would be great, that obviously wasn't in the cards.  Both teachers looked into the possibility of using Skype with the kids and went through the necessary planning to make it happen.  Luckily, I was in the district on the day this was to occur and was able to be present for any troubleshooting.  And can you believe it...no troubleshooting was necessary!  I quickly pulled out my phone and took a few pictures and video to capture and share the moment.  (I also edited and posted the video from my phone.  This is another first for me.)


As this was their first meeting, the classes asked a few questions back and forth about their schools, how they get to school (the NC students carpool), if they wear uniforms, and what letters and sight words they are learning.  Each shared an engaging musical performance of their letters and sight words. I wish I had caught those on video, but I was beside myself with chills watching the whole event unfold.


 If you would like to find out more about using Skype in Education, check out this blog post:  50 Awesome Ways to Use Skype in the Classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment