Friday, November 12, 2010

Technology Tango

I often find myself "translating" between what teachers want and need and what the technical staff can do (in a reasonable amount of time). It's a strange place to be and I can see both sides of the fence when it comes to frustration and disappointment. Hopefully, through some effective communication and clear goal setting that can be alleviated. In the meantime, this is a great post in The Blue Skunk Blog by Doug Johnson.

Doug discusses some key points in making technology and the decision makers more friendly. While I think (and hope) that most of the teachers that I work with consider me friendly and approachable (I'm also not a decision maker) I think that one of the points that struck me was spending more time in the classrooms. I am sometimes pulled away by teaching classes, attending meetings, and planning for integration and programs. This year I have already decided to spend more time face to face with teachers in their classrooms with the goal of trying to boost 21st century skills through practice rather than large group instruction. I plan to post and keep everyone updated through this blog on these adventures with the hopes that it might inspire you.

Please see this example in 21st Century Learning to get a better idea of the goal we have in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment